About The Thrivapy Blog


I created The Thrivapy Blog to share my thoughts and ideas concerning topics of interest for people seeking a better educational experience.

For more, visit my website: www.thrivapy.com
Thank You,
Dr. Troy P. Roddy

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Student Empowerment: A Thrivapy Definition

I have been thinking about the term "student empowerment" lately. One of the aspects of this concept that is sometimes challenging is that the term can mean different things to different people. It may also add to then confusion if the students are at different developmental stages.

Therefore, I have been reflecting on what I think it means and have attempted to define "student empowerment" in language that can be applied to students at almost any developmental stage.

As an added bonus, my reflection got me thinking about "teacher empowerment" and I have a description for that as well.

Here is what I have so far.

Student empowerment is present in your school or class when the following conditions are met:

1. The student's purpose in the learning process is clearly defined and understood.
2. The environment supports and encourages students to actively engage in their role.
3. The student has access to the resources she needs to perform her role at a satisfactory level.
4. Students have opportunities to work with the teacher to guide the learning.

This is very similar (not by accident) to teacher empowerment.

1. The teacher's purpose in the learning process is clearly defined and understood.
2. The environment supports and encourages teachers to actively engage in their role.
3. The teacher has access to the resources she needs to perform her role at a satisfactory level.
4. Teachers have opportunities to guide the curriculum.

What do you think? Leave a comment or email me at troy@thrivapy.com.