About The Thrivapy Blog


I created The Thrivapy Blog to share my thoughts and ideas about living a learning lifestyle.

For more, visit my website: www.thrivapy.com
Thank You,
Dr. Troy P. Roddy

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Alternatives To, "How Was Your Day?"

Like many parents, I often find myself frustrated when I ask my children, "How was your day?" The brief or one-word answers are not exactly the conversation starters I am looking for in order to be appropriately involved in the lives of my children.

Therefore, here are a few alternative questions that I have found to work better than, "How was your day?" Try them with your children or students and see if you get better engagement.

1. What did you do today to get better at ___ ?

2. What did you do today to help someone else?

3. Talk to me about your most recent success - something you are really proud of?

4. What is your greatest challenge right now?

5. If your teacher was here, what would she/he say about your work?